Digital Camera suggestions

Subject: Digital Camera suggestions
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 15:51:24 AKST

Hello all-

I have a Nikon Coolpix 990, a good camera in most respects that fills my
needs. (haven't used many others of high quality, so I am not in a position to
say it is a front runner, though it gets top marks in published reviews.

A defining feature for this and several other dig. cameras is the use of flash
memory. Yah know, those little chips. The great thing about this is that you can
buy a pcmcia adapter for about $20. You plug the chip into the adapter, insert
the adapter card into a pcmcia slot (like on most laptops) and voila linux
recognizes it as a memory device, beeps twice, and the flash memory becomes a
virtual hard drive device (hda on my desktop and hdb on my laptop.)

mount that baby as a vfat filesystem and the chip becomes another drive. It is a
good deal slower than a real hard drive, but has got to be the fastest way to
transfer images from camera to hard drive.

I know that most desktops do not have pcmcia slots but you can get a $70 device
called a "Data Chute" that installs in the desktop and has 2 slots for pcmcia
cards.

Of all the things I have tried w/ Linux this is the only one that is truly plug
and play in the literal sense. No dicking around. (there is one small problem in
that on my laptop the device has an interrupt conflict w/ the xircom ethernet/
modem so ya can't use both simultaneously.

PQO

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
   | voice: (907) 264-7449 |