heavy fifo usage?

Subject: heavy fifo usage?
From: Grant Stockly (grant@stockly.com)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 13:04:29 AKST

Does anyone see anything wrong with doing this:
the program mfs_export pulls data from a 512mbyte sector pointed to by a
the first argument. The second argument is a file in the unix file system.
mfs_export [fsid] [output_file]

I want a 2GB+ output file transferred to another box, but the computer with
all of the fifos is a 2.1.x kernel and can't handle 2GB.

If I had 5 sectors to transfer, how well would the kernel handle this:

mkfifo output
mkfifo fsid1
mkfifo fsid2
mkfifo fsid3
mkfifo fsid4
cat fsid1 fsid2 fsid3 fsid4 > output &
./mfs_export xxxxx fsid1
./mfs_export xxxxx fsid2
./mfs_export xxxxx fsid3
./mfs_export xxxxx fsid4

mfs_export normally writes to files, and correctly closes them, so the cat
command should work until fsid4 is closed and "output" fifo is not blocking
anymore. On a second computer I will be reading the "output" file by ftp.

Am I missing something? cat will wait for fsid1 to be closed and move on
to fsid2, won't it?

Right now I'm just:
mkfifo transfer
./mfs_export xxxxx transfer