Re: root pswd? (HOWTO: for GRUB and LILO)

Subject: Re: root pswd? (HOWTO: for GRUB and LILO)
From: James McMorris (buddha@gci.net)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 00:51:09 AKST

If you are using RH 7.2 with GRUB, here's the way to do it. (James
Gibson @ an APULUG meeting hacked this together...I only get typing
credit.)

1) At the Grub boot menu hit "e"
2) Select the line that begins with "kernel"
3) Hit "e" again-Move the cursor to the end of the line and add "
init=/bin/bash" then hit enter
4) Press "b" to boot the system
5) At the bash prompt that comes up, type the following: "mount /proc"
then hit enter-next type "mount / -o rw,remount" then hit enter next
type "passwd" then hit enter
6) now enter your new password twice
7) You should receive a notice stating "All authentication tokens
updated successfully". This confirms your password has been changed.
8) next type "mount / -o ro,remount" then hit enter-now press control-
alt-delete to reboot
9) logon with new password to verify

Spacing is important so see my original post on the ClarkConnect forum
if you have problems reading the above:
http://www.clarkconnect.org/forums/Forum2/HTML/001719.html

Here's a reference that gives you the above procedure and a way to do
it in LILO too.
http://www.numenor.demon.co.uk/ccfaq/admin_tasks.htm#root_password_grub

-Buddha