NFS and mounting non-root volumes

Subject: NFS and mounting non-root volumes
lee@afabco.com
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 11:15:28 AKST

Hi,

Got two machines, a server and a client.

SERVER:

ip address: 192.168.1.31/255.255.255.0

Partitions:

/dev/hde1 ext2 /boot
/dev/hde5 xfs /
/dev/hde6 swap
/dev/hdg1 xfs /home/installs

/etc/exports:

/home 192.168.1.0/25.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash)

everything in server:/home is world- readable and executable

CLIENT:

I want to mount the server:/home on client:/mountpt, that is, see server's
/dev/hdg1 on client. Here's what I'm doing:

[root@client /]# mkdir /mountpt

[root@client /]# mount -t nfs 192.168.1.31:/home /mountpt

[root@client /]# cd mountpt

[root@client /mountpt]# ls

here, I can see everything in server:/home, including /home/installs. But I
cannot see beneath installs; it gives me an empty directory listing.

So it's like I can see the servers's 'root hard drive' (/dev/hde) from
client. But I can't see any other hard drives hung off of root 'below'
/dev/hde.

I seem to recall having this problem before way-back-when, but I don't
recall how (or if) I solved it.

Is this an easy doh!fix? just a switch in server:/etc/exports or something?

Thanks for any help!