USB devices

Subject: USB devices
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 00:40:05 AKST

A while back Mike Barsalou was asking for USB devices experiences with
toys gotten for Christmas.

I kind of inherited a Iomega zipCD650 about that time, but after
checking it out on Iomega's website, I delayed playing with it. They
said it was very difficult to set up on Linux. Implied next to unusable.

I finally plugged it into a RH7.2 box the other day, planning on seeing
just how much of a hassle this was going to be. I got sidetracked and
just let it sit. A day or two later I went to mount a CD and noticed I
had a choice of 2 CD drives to mount.

I have absolutely no idea of what the system did to set it up, complete
no-brainer.

Tried it on my box running Mandrake 8.1, also a no-brainer.

The only hang-up I have had so far is that I have to write
Track-at-Once, Disk-at-Once generates an error. cdrecord says the drive
doesn't recognize the command

I have also been using a 3com USB ethernet dongle since RH7.0 (2.2.16
kernel). It uses the kaweth (Kawasaki Ethernet) module.

I also have a Philips USB webcam. It works but I haven't done anything
with it yet.

Jim Gribbin