DVD Video Skipping

Subject: DVD Video Skipping
From: Mac Mason (macmasta@ak.net)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 20:26:49 AKST

Hey folks.
I have succeeded in getting xine 0.9.7 to work. (Debian packaging spoils
you so badly that when you need to find a lib it doesn't have, it's
hard)

Anyway, I have an odd problem. The dvd player drops every few frames,
creating a very annoying skipping. Just by reading the xine output, it
looks like:

14 > 1501).
video_out : throwing away image with pts 2879934 because it's too old
(diff : 2636 > 1501).
video_out : throwing away image with pts 2883670 because it's too old
(diff : 3494 > 1501).
video_out : throwing away image with pts 2887406 because it's too old
(diff : 2552 > 1501).
video_out : throwing away image with pts 2891142 because it's too old
(diff : 1532 > 1501).
video_out : throwing away image with pts 2921030 because it's too old
(diff : 6527 > 1501).
video_out : throwing away image with pts 2924998 because it's too old
(diff : 2559 > 1501).
video_out : throwing away image with pts 2928735 because it's too old
(diff : 1649 > 1501).

during play.

This seems odd to me: Xine worked just fine on my old p3-500, so it
would seem that it should work better on an atxp-1400, right?
:-P

I figured it was a bug w/xine, and tried VideoLan, but with the same
results. Then I tired ogle. Same thing. So I ran a cleaning CD through
the drive, to no avail.

It's possible that the drive is overheating, I suppose. Could that cause
this?

Thanks!

~Mac~