Figuring out how to umount the CDrom

Subject: Figuring out how to umount the CDrom
From: Mike Barsalou (mbarsalou@aidea.org)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 08:53:04 AKST

I thought this info from Brian Medsker was so good, that I would repeat it
again.

To unmount a cdrom that keeps complaining about being busy, do this:

fuser -mv /mnt/cdrom (or where ever you mount the drive)

This will produce a 'ps' style listing of those processes that are using the
cdrom. After killing or restarting the processes from a different location,
you can then issue:

umount /mnt/cdrom

According to the man page you can force the removal of processes by using
this command:

fuser -kmv /mnt/cdrom

Thanks Brian! That has been a tough one for many people.

Mike Barsalou