re: closing ports

Subject: re: closing ports
From: PJ Hunt (stol@usa.com)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 13:25:08 AKST

> That's actually backwards--111 is sunrpc and 515 is lpd. To prevent them
> from loading on boot you'll need to look in your init scripts. I'm sure
> civileme will slap me around if I get this wrong :-) but assuming
> Mandrake is similar to Red Hat in its use of SysV style init, then cd into
> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d and "mv S<number>portmap s<number>portmap". For example,
> on my old Red Hat 5.2 box, I would "mv S40portmap s40portmap". By
> renaming it to a lowercase s, the service won't be started. A benefit is
> that if you need to restore it later, the number remains intact so you
> know what order it should be started among the rest of the stuff. Note
> that /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S* are things that will start when the system enters
> runlevel 3 (standard multiuser mode w/o XDM). You should probably also go
> into the other rc directories in /etc/rc.d and do the same thing. If you
> don't, and you boot into a different runlevel for any reason you'll have
> unwanted services starting up.

Mike, you're right it was backwards. It was late and I was tired.

Anyway I appreciate your advice, it worked flawlessly. nmap now shows the
following on my machine:

Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA30 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on 209-193-36-143-cdsl-rb1.nwc.acsalaska.net
(209.193.36.143):
(The 1546 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port State Service
21/tcp open ftp
22/tcp open ssh
80/tcp open http