IBM drives "hidden" in your Network Attached Storage

Subject: IBM drives "hidden" in your Network Attached Storage
From: Buddha (buddha@gci.net)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 10:14:56 AKST

If you've purchased an NAS device that contains IDE drives in the last year
and a half it would be wise if you cracked the case to see if any of them
are an IBM Deskstar 75GXP, model numbers DTLA-307015, 307020, 307045,
307060, and 307075. I just received a Snap!Server 4100 (300GB) and opened
it up. It uses 4 of the DTLA-307075 drives. These drive have had a "click
of death problem" with the heads crashing and a class action lawsuit has
been filed against IBM in Alameda County court. I contacted Quantum and, to
my surprise, I was the first person to bring this to their attention. If
you have one of these units I'd call Snap Appliances and work something out.